This year our monthly meetings will feature demos and presentations about different aspects of the process of making comics. Our special guests for April were three of the Editors from Graham Cracker Comics Ladies’ Night Anthology
The GCC Ladies’ Night Anthology is a comics Anthology for Women and Women-Identifying comic creators. Unlike many other anthologies, artists and writers submit pitches to the Anthology separately and are paired up to work on stories. This approach has proven very successful as they are currently accepting pitches for their 5th volume! (submissions due by April 30th).
We were lucky to have not one, not two, but three of the editors from the group with us for the evening. Their combined experience spanned comics publishing, traditional publishing, and comics reviewing. After a great presentation and discussion, they were kind enough to stick around well afterward to review our members’ work and answer questions.
Below are a few tips and links that the editors provided during the meeting:
- Read Publisher’s Weekly, School Library Journal, and ICV2 to keep an eye on trends in comics and book publishing
- Follow @AnthologyComics on twitter to see calls for various comic anthologies
- Check out this Facebook Group that connects artists with writers (they really need artists!)
- This site and this site are required reading for people trying to make a living off their comics
- This podcast is required listening for comic creators
- Follow Gene Ha(!) to see an example of a local artist doing a great job of promoting his work
- Check out Iron Circus, the largest independent publisher of comics in the Midwest
- And of course, follow Caitlin, Lauren, Megan, and GCCLadiesNight for more awesome resources
If you missed the event but will be attending C2E2 you can see the official version of the presentation on Sunday, April 23rd at 3:45 pm. More details here. Word is, they will be offering some sweet giveaways!
It was a lot of fun and very informative. Thanks to Caitlin, Lauren, and Megan for coming out to Third Coast Comics. We’ll have them back soon. Also, big thanks to Terry at Third Coast for hosting the event and supporting our group.
Next month, Ed (yes, the Ed who runs this group) will be giving a presentation entitled: “Making Comics in Clip Studio Paint (Formerly Manga Studio): From Start to Finish” Wednesday, May 3rd, 7:00 pm at Third Coast Comics. The meetup and Facebook event pages will be posted as soon as they are available.